Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Dear Lower 48 Pal,

I look out my office windows and I can see the Bering sea and the mountains covered in snow, which right now are turning pink from the 5 p.m. setting sun. It is weird, the darkness. Really can calm someone down, or depress them.

It is getting darker earlier and earlier everyday. It is hard to mentally prepare for the fact that by the time I am off work the sun is setting, and I can feel a difference. Honestly it is a little scary to feel so complacent. I am making myself stay active. For instance I am trying to go work out at least 3 times a week, practice sign language and French. However, social activities I hear increase with the winter because more people gather to prevent cabin fever. I can really see why that interaction is so important.
I can also see why KNOM is so important for people in many villages. We are a connection, a beacon, something steady and supportive. Wow, maybe I should listen in more! No, I do listen to many programs we air. In fact I am enjoying learning all about the Saints as well as the Sacraments, two spot series that the Inspirational Director David Dodman produces. I just love learning about all denominations and faiths. I love being a nerd!

I have taken a liking to C.S. Lewis. I have had his books before but for some reason now I just cannot get enough and my roommates are aware of my current addiction. They hear about it almost on a nightly basis. I have steamed through Mere Christianity as well as The Great Divorce. I recommend these books for anyone with any level of faith.

I am learning to play racquetball, yes, I am working through my uncoordinated skills and trying to hit a small ball with a little racket in a little room. I could feel the walls closing in last time- or maybe that was because I was running into them.

I did another Sounding Board this week. Sounding Board is a caller driven show where KNOM staff and volunteers take turns researching a issue or topic and host a show about it for an hour once a week. This was my week and I chose Obesity in Western Alaska. The first 30 minutes were dry with no callers. Fortunately, people ended up calling in the second half and giving their take on the issue, maybe better next time. I need to come up with another topic... I am up again in a month. Any ideas?

I might be headed to Golovin in about 2 weeks to cover a volleyball tournament. Pray for that, I think it would be a slamming good time!.... I know I am lame. It is confining to think that I have not ventured out of the city of Nome for over 2 months. Makes me feel disconnected to the world.

How have you been? I have been rude and have not even asked. I a sorry! Your support and prayers keep me chugging along on late nights.

I do miss the lower 48, but KNOM is such an amazing place, and the staff is phenomenal. They have everyone's best interest at heart. They stand by their staff and volunteers, really helps when we are all so far from home.

Stay well and know you are in my prayers. Have a GLORIOUS day and enjoy the trees and the Sun... Since I do not see much of either here.

Yours,

Kristina

No comments: