Sunday, January 13, 2008

People Watching

Today: The Feast of the Baptism of Our Lord

This Sunday afternoon I decided to head to the Polar Cafe after Mass, to read and get some brunch.
I forgot how entertaining and calming it is to people watch. It was a chance to get out of my bubble of KNOM. I makes me feel that for a short time I am not trapped in Nome, or confined to the walls of the station or the house. It is difficult to get out when it is -23 outside and windy. Not the easiest time to get out and exercise. You have to really be cautious and aware of your body at all times. You realize that you take warm times for granted, when you can walk without worrying about getting frostbite or coughing as soon as you walk outside because the air is so cold it hurts to breath.

I looked out the window at the Bering Sea and saw a single Christmas tree on the frozen ice awaiting companions. In Nome, people take their Christmas trees and put them on the ice to create the National Forrest. So, it was out of place to see endless snow and ice, and then a green tree, just standing straight up 100 to 150 yards out.


Current CDs and bands in my Rotation:
The Weepies CD 'Happiness'
Caedmon's Call-There is a reason
Wilco's 'AM' CD
Brandon Heath 'Don't Get Comfortable'

Today Father Sean was back from the village trips, at least til next time! The Homily today he talked about vocation, and specifically his vocation. This is something that everyone always thinks about. Lord what is your will? Something we all need to ask. His lead him to Alaska. Funny, so did mine, at least for now.

Enjoy the warmth or cold, where ever the LORD has you in your life.
You are in my prayers and Thanks for keeping up with me online!

No comments: