Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Race Season, Work & Next Village Trip

It is about that time in Western Alaska. Time for the snowmachines to be gassed up, and the dog sleds to be taken out.

A few Sundays ago Jacob and I ventured out to the tundra to go snowshoeing, my new favorite hobby in the light. We ventured out toward the hills and I saw my first dog sled team. Over the hour and a half I was trekking around I saw three teams making runs. It is quite a sight to see something like that, talk about team work, dedication and trust.

We are preparing for race season. Snowmachine and dog sleds. I am learning about sports that I haven't ever been exposed to before. Humbling experience. Like I always say- it is a whole different world up here!

Walking downtown today to check the mail I did not even realize it was 24 degrees below zero. Your body really does accommodate to the immediate environment, as long as you are dressed appropriately and the wind isn't blowing you do not even think twice about the temperature. Amazing what the human body can do. I now look the days that reach above zero as 'warm'.

In production I am really working on various spot topics, keeps me on my toes! Since the Alaska Legislature is headed back into session, I am writing spots, with the assistance of the KNOM News Department, about what a constituent can do to get involved, and where to check on a bill's status. I am all about empowering the people! Also, in that same category, since it is an election year I am hoping to create spots that help to explain various parties, caucuses, electoral votes, what representatives do, ect. Sometimes we can get caught up in the jargon of politics and we do not even stop to think what it all really means. So, I am looking to change that problem. Knowledge is power!

I am headed to the village of White Mountain January 16th-18th, visiting the schools since they have a visiting artist giving classes to the students and community. I will be lodged in the school probably on the floor of a classroom. Now this is what I signed up for! I will give you an updated post of that experience when I return.

The local parish priest is responsible for villages outside of Nome, including Little Diomede, Kotzebue and Teller. So he has been gone for the past couple of weeks celebrating Christmas and baptizing babies. I cannot imagine only having a pastor once every two months or so. For Little Diomede, you can only get in by helicopter, since the runway is only available in the winter. The runway is constructed of ice. Welcome to Western Alaska.

Thanks as always for your prayers and support while I am in Nome. I am loving my job and you all remain in my prayers!

Stay warm!

No comments: