Thursday, September 17, 2009

Moving into the MN Fall

The leaves are changing, the temperatures are dro- oh, wait. It's been 80 something here the past few days. Well, the leaves are changing, and the morning air seems, crisper.

It's that time of year to unpack some jackets and find my scarves once again. This year I feel more prepared. As I reflect on when I arrived in the Twin Cities I have really grown to love and adore this area. There are countless opportunities for volunteering, community and continuous learning. It was difficult to find what I wanted and needed. However, I feel confidant about this year and it's upcoming activities.

Back in August I wrote about 'winter projects' and I'm happy to report that I have a few good ones that have popped up.

Since I started looking into writing for the Minneapolis Examiner covering Generation Y, I've rekindled my love for various communication outlets. I'm able to join my passion for technology, culture and explaining why some of the people in my generation behave the way we do. I'm not claiming to be a behavioral analyst, just an observer and participant. I must say, that I've been searching for books, articles and even podcasts on the subject, and I'm learning an incredible amount about myself. I think I'm getting a better grip on how to work with my managers, fellow (wh)Yers (as I like to call us), and even get a better grip on the imporatance of social media not only in the current, but for years to come.

I've also jumped right into volunteering at KFAI, Radio Without Boundries in Minneapolis. I've been volunteering once a week with the 'Cart Crew' which records PSAs and other various spots for airing. I think it really gives me a nice broadcasting fix.

I've taken a dive right into learning more about how Facebook, Twitter and other various online tools are used for branding, for personal or business. I must say that it makes me think about getting an MBA in Communication Studies versus a MA in Communications. We'll see!

In the mean time, check me out on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kristinaproctor

No comments: