Saturday, September 5, 2009

MN State Fair on a stick

I attended the fair this past Tuesday and did enjoy several things! I did have some fantastic foods along the way:
- nice vanilla shake from the U of M dairy barn
- fried cheese curds
- Tornado Potato... and yes, it was delightful. I had some spicy seasoning on it as well.
- corn on the cob dipped in butter (I'm in the mid-west)
- Sweet Martha's Cookies... mmmmm.

... I'm sure there is something I'm missing. I did see some rather interesting things on a stick. You'll have to see to believe. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera.

The fair is not all food, rides and shows however. If grease and Garrison Keillor are not your thing, there are several things other things that can keep you busy. For instance, we visited the 'Miracle of Life Birthing Center.' Here you can see animals, you guessed it, being born. I'm not talking about TVs just broadcasting births. I'm talking, if there is a cow about to have a calf, into the birthing center they go. This place has bleachers and monitors for all to enjoy. When we strolled through, we saw a 3 hour old calf in the middle pin and piglets nursing in another. Pretty cool actually.

We also walked through the cow, swine and horse barns. I don't get to see these things in the middle of a metropolis too often. So, when I can, I jump on the chance.

If you are a media junkie, or fancy a certain weatherman (Sven), then the fair is good for that as well. See, all major TV news and radio stations are present at the fair. You can again, sit in bleachers, and be an active participant in the broadcast, see the anchors and camera operators at work and the interns running about.

There is also an art exhibit and a 'green' expo. I now see why people can spend days attending the fair. It's rather difficult to absorb everything in one visit, especially if you are seeing a show or want to be on a live Newscast.

I didn't get to visit the beer garden or attend a show this year, but I'm looking forward to the 2010 fair and this one's not even over yet.

No comments: