Friday, December 18, 2009

Community

Every Thursday we have game night. Some of us get together to forget about work (or try to), seminary shenanigans (or try to), the plummeting temperatures and the overall stress of life. For two to three glorious hours we bask in the glow of community, a little beer and some wonderfully awkward and sometimes confusing board games. Last night we played what some just call 'the awkward game', I don't even know the real title of this cardboard square that makes so many of us giggle. Frankly, I don't mind that so much. It's about spending time with people. I may not remember the games or who won, but I know that I left energized and full.

This has been a fabulous blessing. When I'm having a tough time with work, life and being away from family and friends, a since of belonging is sometimes all I need to get through the remainder of the week.

I'm also incredibly fulfilled with my community of strong women around me. They range from coworkers, mentors, fellow church members, encouraging seminary wives and friends that I can just bum around with on Saturday night. It's been a long year and three months in Minnesota, but things have really perked up the last five months, and for that I'm left blessed and thankful.

 'People won't remember what you did for them, but they will remember how you made them feel.'

2 comments:

Rachel said...

It's amazing what a community of friends can do to not only try and make you forget about work that day; but make you smile, laugh and listen when you really need someone to listen to you....and I think that's why we started our favorite game of all, "You know what I did today?" because it was a way for us to laugh when we really wanted to cry. I think everyone needs to be a part of something like this...and my hope is that we all remember that on wherever our next journey takes us.

Kristina's Tech and Culture said...

I couldn't agree with you more. "You know what I did today?" is a great way to bring joy to difficult parts of our lives. Thank you Rachel.