Saturday, August 22, 2009

Bookstores, visits from friends and GPS

So, I have started reading Marshall McLuhan again. McLuhan was the one that first coined the terms 'global village' and the famous 'medium is the message'. This guy is my media analyst that I run to for support and understanding in the web world we live in. However, as I search for his books, I realize that I am wildly unsuccessful at typical bookstores. I have ventured to Barnes & Nobles, used book stores and several others. No Luck.

Yes, I'm aware that I could venture online, where I do everything else, but there is something about finding the book I desire. I need the challenge. So, by recommendation, I am venturing to a place called Midtown Used and Rare Books. I looked on their site and they do have some McLuhan, but the one I found was $205, first edition. Oh. My checkbook will not like that.

This whole issue started a few weeks ago when a friend of mine ventured through the Twins from Colorado on her way back to North Carolina. No, I don't think she has a good map, but she does have a GPS which she refers to as 'Ms. Magellan.' I'm not sure how much they paid for 'her', but she isn't helping women in the fight against the stereotype of being directionally challenged. I should know, I get lost in J.C. Penny's.

My friend, we'll call her Marsha, is a law student and therefore loves books. On Sunday she wanted to go to a bookstore that she found online. So, I volunteered to drive. Mistake 1. So five of us got into my Jeep and accepted the adventure to Minneapolis. Mistake 2. Now, you must remember that 1) I don't have a sense of direction and 2) I have had car in the Twins for about 3 weeks. Therefore, I'm not used to the highways and city drivers yet.

Ok, so Marsha, her boyfriend, a friend of Marsha's boyfriend, myself and my boyfriend all got into the Jeep. Well, lets just say the trip form Roseville to Minneapolis was filled with Ms. Magellan directing me, Marsha translating, and me missing every possible turn. Honestly.

When we finally got the book store, I told everyone to get out. Sounds harsh? I don't think so. The last thing anyone wants to have are people telling you were all the parking spots are.

Now, my beef with bookstores. My boyfriend has a deep passion for theology and religious text, Marsha was seeking out cook books, I on the other hand, dig journalism, media, radio and communication theory. When they gets 5 bookcases, I have 2 shelves. Ugh.

That is what sparked my search for McLuhan. I thought 'there has to be a bookstore that has his books or books about him.' To that bookstore's defense, they did have one book titled 'Everyman's McLuhan'. I suppose that will have to keep me busy til my mission is completed.

No comments: