Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Great MN Get Together!


Well summer is really winding down in the land of 10,000 lakes. You can feel the crisp air in the morning. I've been watching more people reach for sweaters and close-toed shoes. I must say that I'm excited.

Fall is one of my favorite seasons. Changing leaves, football, students heading back to the books, and people here begin devising 'winter projects'.

With more months of below freezing than above, many people pick up their 'inside' hobbies once again. For instance, I have learned to knit in the winter months, along with getting back into American Sign Language, French, (a little) German and baking is even attempted.

But I'm not quite prepared to dwell on Old Man Winter just yet...

For now, I'm going to focus on what is currently holding the attention of every Minnesotan. The State Fair! I breathe the fair every day. Seriously, I live across the street from heart attack on a stick. While I was tempted to pass this year, I'm looking forward to the adventure this week. See, last year I worked everyday of the fair. I had just moved up to Minnesota and was looking for work and was placed in the two week position of soda spiller, bee killer, hot dog fetcher and beer tapper. I'm not sure if it was the 13 hour days in the heat, the thousands of people I served or the lack of funds to enjoy my breaks, but I didn't have a great first experience. Fortunately, from the help of locals, they have turned my pessimism for the fair into an event that I now look forward to.

My plans are to head there during the work week in hopes to hit a less massive crowd.

And yes, there are a few things I'm looking forward to trying out. Like, the Tornado Potato! That is the picture that I have in this post. I mean, who wouldn't look forward to eating this?!

No comments: