Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Culture Shock?

I do not know if I was just mentally prepared or what but I have not had a hard time adjusting to the cultures up here. More often then not I do find myself with people from the Lower 48. However, my church is the exact opposite.
With a pastor originally from Korea and a 99% of the congregation native I have found myself the minority when it comes to worship. I am learning that in many cultures there are many ways to praise our Father, as I knew before but had not really experinced first hand. I knew there where traditional and contemporary services, but seeing people dance in dedication to Jesus was a very enlightening experience. There was a woman who sang Kumbya (I cannot spell). To most people in the Lower 48 this would make their eyes roll. Wait, this woman got out of her seat during the service and wanted to sing it.
She began in English then went into Yu'pik, she cried while she sang and told the congregation that she was crying out much like the slaves had, for mercy for her people. Asking God to have mercy on them. She has it, why can't that be shared?

So that, really got me... it was not culture shock... but spiritual shock.
It does worry me when people are not as open minded when it comes to alternative views and means of worship. For that woman at that moment, let me into her spiritual connection with the father. In her language in her way. Why is that not ok?
Some people do not accept worshiping in alternate languages that once might have worshiped another God or multiple Gods. I have news for you...
People lost in the desert spoke a language that is holy... and some worshiped idols while they lost faith in God. Does that make it an 'unclean language'?
People make assumptions about others and their culture solely based on their own experiences. Open your world, stale air can really get you down.
Give yourself a spiritual shock, visit a culture different then your own, you may find something about yourself that you never new before.

No comments: