Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Weather Update

For about a week the temperature was getting about 70 degrees every day and the sun was shinning and was daunting for those of us that had to work the next day, inside of course.
It was not too bad since the post office and all amenities are all within walking distance so it makes pleasant errand runs during my lunch break.
I can tell the difference between the evening sun and the sunlight before the summer solstice. Life is getting easier when it comes to sleep since it is getting a little darker. I am sure the overcast clouds help as well.
I have found a church here in Nome- Nome Presbyterian USA and the Rev. is from Korea where my older brother is headed off to soon to teach English. My parents have me here in Alaska and my older brother in Korea... I guess they do not have to worry about breaks and fridge raids! My little brother is a sophomore in college so he gets the house to himself. That and really neat places to visit.
I have passed some great time reading up here. I have steamed through Courage and Calling, First Person Plural and now I am in Mere Christianity and Crossing Cultures.
One small fact: If people are unable to sleep with the midnight sun they put foil over their windows- this prevents any light from coming in. Yes it can be depressing and dark but just open your hall door and the light shines right on in.
Also, one of my roommates just left after his year of service and is headed back to Philly and will be greatly missed. He is a great music director and I wish him the best of luck.

No comments: