Saturday, July 28, 2007

Jessefest / Family Fun Night in Nome

A night of awesomeness!

One of the volunteers that has been here for 2 years is getting ready to depart the Gold Rush City. Jesse Zink will be moving on in his life of service to Mthatha, South Africa to work in a clinic through the Episcopal. In turn, the city of Nome has really been impacted by this person, so they threw a Family Fun Night with games, free food and drinks, as well as Native Eskimo Game competitions and a dance competition.
I did arrive late since I was at a 'stamp party' making cards for a local church.
Upon arrival I was able to participate in the suitcase race where you run and put all the clothes on in the suitcase, run back to your line, clap three times, and then the next person puts on all the clothes and has to run back and put all the clothes back. It did take forever, but it was hilarous to see a grown man wear a onesie nighty and other various items.
There was also a person returning from Eskimo games that placed very highly I am sure in the womans high kick.
So she demonstrated and we all got in line. You jump off both feet, kick the ball with one foot and have to land on the foot you kicked with showing balance. I have to admit my cheerleading skills came into play here. I did win a knife for willing in the women's category! I am a kicking champion!Pictures are coming I promise!
Last but not least there was a DANCE COMPETITION. I am not about to sit out for that.
There where 4 songs to qualify for the final round, I won the round with the Electric Slide... I know, I am awesome.
So the LAST dance was a 'freestyle', uuuhh ohhh... I had no idea what to do. Then it came on... Grease. Any female that has been to sleepovers knows this music.
So, what is a girl to do? Break out the dance that everyone MADE you learn for hours at slumber parties.
In the end of 'Summer Lovin'' Jesse and I collaborated, and I was, yes, Olivia Newton John.
We, won! First prize? Split $100 in dollar coins. Yes, I am not only a Eskimo high kick winner for the Nome Family Fun Night/JesseFest but a dance champion.... only in Nome can I win a dance contest.
I owe it all to passion, yes kids. Dream and you too one day will win a dance contest.
Follow your dreams....

No comments: