Thursday, August 23, 2007

Berry Picking/Darkness

Last Sunday I went berry picking with a woman from church. If you haven't gone to a place in complete silence to take food directly from the earth you should try it. Talk about elementary. Besides the fact that the berries where everywhere covering the hills of the tundra, the sky was gorgeous. We could hear someone coming from miles away.
I really hadn't picked berries like that before. We where out there for hours I picked a gallon of blueberries and cranberries. They are great in pound cake by the way.
Recently we have been teased with more amazing weather.
It has been clear, sunny and warm.
Apparently a sign that summer is over is when the Fireweed flower reaches the top of the plant. You can see that most no longer have flowers- which is a sign that fall is right around the corner.
I cannot wait... the tundra is supposed to be covered with all sorts of fall colors like when leaves change. I do miss trees.
I saw stars for the first time in almost 2 months! It is so odd. Just when I was really getting used to the sunlight, going fishing at 10 pm and berry picking til late the darkness has started to creep upon us.
However, seeing the darkness on one side of the sky with stars, and light on the other I am starting to feel the need for night. I know that sounds weird but I forgot how awesome nighttime can be for you. How relaxing and rejuvenating it is.
Isn't that odd how we can forget how great something is when it is gone. something so simple, like darkness.
The good thing is that the mosquitoes are not too bad with the warm breeze.

No comments: