Friday, October 26, 2007

Arctic Walk, Food 'Sales'

Yesterday there was a Komen Breast Cancer walk in Nome. I really am getting a dose of this life style.
It was snowing, under 30 degrees, the wind was blowing and most of the road was ice. BUT, off we went on our mile walk around town to raise money for breast cancer research and awareness.
The weather is highly unpredictable. Nomites tell me that it snowed earlier this year and they were not sure what to think about. That worries me. Locals do not even know how to take the weather, what is this Texan supposed to think? The amazing thing though is that I am more than warm enough, I have everything I seem to need thus far. I might need to invest in some boots but we will see once a donated pair reaches me from a generous individual in Texas.
The sun does not rise until well past 10 a.m. now. It makes the mornings hard to judge. I cannot distinguish between 3 a.m. and 8:45 a.m. I have to be at work by 8 and that makes it difficult since I am blind without my glasses and cannot see the clock, can we say ignorance is bliss?

I live with four other individuals and we all have a set food budget. We have a joint account so we share just about EVERYTHING when it comes to food. That is not the problem. The problem is we are slaves to the sales. I just wanted to enlighten you on our food shopping process, and is it ever an excursion.

We have two grocery stores in Nome. Yes, two. One is A/C and the other is Hanson's. There are sales every week and the adds come out on Wednesdays and Thursdays. We sift through the adds circling things that we need to buy, or want since it is on sale. Here are some 'sale' prices:

Milk: 2 gallons for $11

Avocados: 2 for $4

Canned Black Beans: $1.89

Dish Washer detergent: $25 for a bucket

12 pack of Pepsi: $6.99

Face wash: $6-$8

Bread: 2 loaves for $7

Just a little look into our 'sale' price world.

No comments: