Friday, October 12, 2007

Snow! Snow! Snow!

Well, as you might have guessed, we now have snow! This south Texan is obviously not as used to this as the local Nomites. So, I have been working and looking out the window in reassurance that the white stuff is still covering the dusty roads of Nome.
I work on the second floor of KNOM and I have a nothing short of a fantastic view of the snowy peaks. The original 'snow' last week is called 'termination dust' which indicates that summer is now behind us, the long days and temperate weather is gone and winter is on the verge.
Right now it is about 24 degrees. What am I wearing? how am I keeping warm? Well, that is the funny thing. If you would have asked me what the temperature was, I probably would have guessed around 32 or so. Nope. I walk outside in a cotton button up, jeans, slip on shoes and a thermal vest. I really can see how people say that you adjust. Also, it helps to have the people around you not freaking out that it is below freezing.
The snow might melt in the next few days but rest assure that I have not seen the last of this white powder.

I am in the process of editing an hour long show called Music Detour, and if you want to know more about that you can look on the entry titled 'New Assignments'. This week I am doing a salute to royalty. I have B.B. King, Elvis (the king of Rock 'n Roll) as well as Sammy Kershaw... He has a song titles 'Queen of my Double Wide Trailer' and I could not resist.
My roommates and I take turns cooking throughout the week, however, our skills seem to be limited to enchiladas, homemade burritos, chili, and corn tortillas. Needless to say we are seeing that finding new recipes can be a daunting task since there are some things that we cannot get in Nome. Or, the ingredients are available, but we are on a nice tight food budget.
In case you are reading this and have some simple recipes that 4 twenty somethings can follow please FELL FREE to email them to me! I promise we would appreciate that. I guess I am not doing too bad if my only complaint is that we are getting sick of the food we are making. I know, I lead a hard life.

As always thanks for the prayers and support, I not only appreciate it, but I could not be here without it!

Do not forget PICTURES can be seen by going to www.laura-davis.com or www.flickr.com/photos/david-dodman

My roomies are far better photographers than I!

No comments: