Thursday, October 4, 2007

Village Trip- Teller, Alaska

This past weekend I had the pleasure of attending my first cultural and dance festival in Teller, Alaska. Only a day trip, a fellow volunteer Jacob and I took off around 9:30 am and headed north in the 'highway' 71 miles, on a road not completely paved or even maintained past October 1st. I realize this might be a foreign concept to some readers in the Lower 48, but most roads outside of town are not maintained past specific dates since the weather tears them apart and the area is so desolate. It would be a constant struggle. So, The villages we are able to reach by car in the spring, summer, and fall are not accessible in the winter months.

The festival began on Friday with dancers from Savoonga, Brevig Mission, Anchorage, Teller, Shismereff and a few others. However we did not arrive until Saturday in the early afternoon.

As Jacob and I drove the 71 miles away from the 'big city' of Nome we were greeted with blue skies, fall colors draped over the tundra and two herds of Caribou. Now, 71 miles is not far, but on a dirt road full of pot holes and with eyes on the lookout for wildlife traveling can add a significant amount of extra time. That, and I am not really used to these Alaskan 'highways'.

Upon our arrival we found the school, which was not too difficult since the village consists of beach, and two streets. Pictures will never do justice to the beauty and majesty that Alaska provides. I have never seen anything that compares.
The elementary school was buzzing with women running food back in forth in preparation to feed their out of town guests. Jacob and I walked around trying to take everything in and trying to absorb the atmosphere.

Walking down the single hall of the school I could see the murals an artist I know who worked so intently on some time before. James Adcox, you should check his stuff out, really, he is amazing.

Going all the way down the hall we reached the back door, a cool breeze with water hit my face and I stool in amazement at the surrounding mountains and water that stood before me. Remembering that I was there working- I wondered how I got this job in the first place.

We were invited to lunch in the cafeteria with the dancers and drummers, festival coordinators and volunteers. Food is always a welcoming surprise when you are in a new place. So, I dipped the ladle into the white mixture with meat floating around, snatched some fried bread and sat down. As the introductions and conversation subsided the woman next to me looked at me and said 'Oh, you are eating reindeer tongue.' My thoughts? Well, I cannot stop now. I was wondering why it was a little chewy.

I told Jacob, and he wanted to try it- so we retreated back to the kitchen and scooped up a clean bowl and spoon for him to experience. I have been eating so many new things- always keeps me on my toes, looking out for one more experience while I am here.

We ventured to find the beading workshop and after a few minutes watching me stick myself with a sewing needle and drop colored beads all over the floor Jacob went to watch the Eskimo games in the gym down the hall. Funny thing was that the Nome newspaper the 'Nome Nugget' showed up, and I am in this weeks issue, beading with the ladies in Teller, and I look lost like I always do in situations when arts and crafts are involved.

After I finished my project triumphantly I found Jacob and we ventured back outside to walk around the village.

We had some downtime until the dancing and drumming was scheduled to begin at 7:30 pm.

Eskimo drumming and dancing are something to relaly see. I suggest if you do not have the option to venture up here to the Great Land you should venture online and find some videos. There was a dance done by the Savoonga performers called 'Rock n Roll' and the woman danced like 'white women' do for rock and roll songs. I have to admit, the accuracy was impeccable. Entertaining to say the least.

Between interviewing the coordinators and recording some of the drummers and dancers for air on KNOM Jacob and I could sit and take in the dancing. To watch these various groups gather together and entertain one another through drumming and dancing is powerful. I do not know what they are singing but you can still feel the passion and heritage that is being passed. The children mock the adults and seem to naturally feel the movements.

Since each group seems to play about one hour Jacob and I only really saw Savoonga and Brevig Mission. After all, we had a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive ahead of us.

We had a full and powerful day. A great way to really understand who I am here to serve in Western Alaska. I am thankful that KNOM enthusiastically sends out the volunteers to see and understand who we are here to serve and support. I look forward to future village trips- although I am still working on writing my news stories, not exactly something that comes easy for me. I am working on it, always challenging. KNOM, I feel as if that is their motto. They expect nothing less than your 100% best efforts. Not a bad way to be introduced into the working world.

I would like to say thank you to everyone for their support and prayers. Sometimes it is hard being here- away from Borders, coffee shops and friends, but it gets easier day by day. The community at the house is amazing, and we are all getting along so well. Thanks to my packages, the house now has Scatagories-Bible Edition- that should make for an interesting Saturday night in winter weekends to come!

Stay safe and I am praying for all of you as well. Feel free to send me a letter, give me a call, or better yet- plan a trip up here!

PS- IT SNOWED TODAY! FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I HAVE BEEN HERE!

No comments: