Sunday, June 17, 2007

The voyage to Nome

My flight from Seattle to Anchorage started off on the wrong foot. At first they told me that I was unable to check in because the flight was coming up as canceled (good thing I was there at 5:30 a.m. so I had other options). In turn, I was placed on a flight an hour later. When I arrived at my new flight’s gate -there it was flight 93 to Anchorage- the one that was canceled. Go figure, story of my life. On top of that my bags were not able to be checked in and I left them in the mercy of the airline staff.
I sat next to this guy names Jose. He is a worker on a crab boat in the Alaskan waters. Interesting man that is for sure. I believe that it takes a certain person to have the abilities to work on a job that dangerous and that physically demanding. Courageous. He says that he is next getting his chef license to cook in New York City. Talk about a random life, he hates the boats but is doing one more year because the pay is good and it is only for two or three months. My prayers go out to him since he says his last boat had nothing but Japanese people and they told him that they did not like Latinos. So, they broke his locker and stole his things. Well, he is giving it another go, persistence I suppose.
I would like to say thank you again to all of the people that have made this mission possible. From jackets, scarves, gloves, boots or hand warmers. The things that you all have given me have been a tremendous help. Thank you for your generosity; it most certainly does not go unnoticed. I now feel very prepared for what I am about to experience, well as prepared as a south Texan can be 100 miles away from the Arctic Circle.  This girl is in for a whole new world of cold.
Can anyone say culture shock? I am ready for that to set in any time now…

No comments: